Sunday, July 18, 2010

Don't Forget the Sugar!

A while back on facebook I talked about some zucchini chocolate chip muffins I had made. The were super yummy so I thought I would post the recipe here. I started to make some yesterday. I got them in the oven and then realized I didn't take any pictures like I wanted to for the blog. Oh well, no big deal. But then I realized I had forgotten something that was a big deal - the sugar! I debated whether I should put sugar or Splenda in but didn't put in any at all. I took the muffins out of the oven after about 3 minutes, spooned them all back into the bowl and mixed in the sugar. I was hoping beyond hope that it would work since I had made a double batch and that was a lot of ingredients to just throw away. I kind of knew it wouldn't work though. My first clue was that some of the bottoms of the muffins were already cooked. My second clue was that the chocolate chips had already melted and when mixed again with the sugar, my beautiful tan colored batter became a nasty brown color. Here's what they looked like when they were "done".

Well, I made them again today - a single batch - remembered the sugar and to take pics. So here you go.

1 1/2 cups flour (I use a mix of white and whole wheat)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup oil (can substitute some applesauce)
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini (I used my food processor and a big zucchini and the shreads were pretty big so I chopped it a little more to hide the zucchini from Josh)
1/3 cup chocolate chips

In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

Combine the egg, oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. (It will be a little thick. ) Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.


Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until done.


Voila! The finished product. These are great for breakfast or an anytime snack. They freeze really well too! We just pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and it tastes like it just came out of the oven. Enjoy!

2 comments:

*~Petra~* said...

Oooo... they look yummy! Thanks for sharing. :)

Mom said...

Isn't life wonderful. So little time. So many lessons!!! Love you